Saturday, June 07, 2008

Raindrops keep falling on my head

I finally have proof that the smoke alarm in my apartment is functional! I had started to doubt the little thing on the ceiling, five months and not once has the alarm gone off, it could also be attributed to the fact that I have stopped cooking typical smoking dishes!...shallow frying cutlets... this is what set it off and no I didn't burn them! One of my favorite foods is beef/mutton cutlets, reminds me of one my neighbors, she makes the best cutlets and ah who can forget those awesome kheema parathas that we used to enjoy in the tiny shack beside Hangyo in Manipal.

Here's the recipe I used

1/2 lb beef (I used the ground beef version)
10 cloves of garlic (more the merrier, if you are fond of the garlic) - finely chopped
1 small ginger piece - finely chopped
8 green chillies (de-seeded & finely chopped)
2 small onions - chopped
3 small potatoes (cooked and mashed)
Turmeric, Pepper, Coriander powder, Cumin powder - according to taste
Lemon juice - 3 tbsp
Bread crumbs & 1 Egg for the coating

Heat about 1/2 a tsp of oil in a cooking pot, add the chopped garlic, ginger, chillies, onions - fry until the onions obtain a yellowish color. Add the spices and the uncooked minced meat. Cook for approximately 20 minutes without adding water. Once done add the lemon juice. Set aside and let it cool. Add the mashed potato into the meat mixture and shape into oval shaped balls. Dip each of the balls into the beaten egg mixture and then roll onto the breadcrumbs before shallow frying in oil.

I have always enjoyed the cutlets with the egg coating, however if you want to reduce the oil used while frying, simply fry the cutlets without any coating.

I chose to enjoy the cutlets with a glass of port, that's it, appetizer and a drink as my main course!

The rain doesn't seem to stop this past week, yet its so beautiful... walking out with an umbrella and once in a while letting the raindrops fall on my head.

The title of this post is a song title made famous in the 1969 movie 'Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid'

No comments: